I really like squash in general, and butternut squash is my go-to soup. Adding sweet onions instead of white or red adds a subtle complexity that I prefer (but it’s definitely not necessary).
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add squash, carrot, and onion; sauté for 12 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and salt.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup.