This is from my Light & Tasty 2007 cookbook. And wow is this the tastiest bread. It’s really easy to make and even easier to eat : )
Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Bread
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil (or roughly 1 tablespoon dried basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- Pour boiling water over tomatoes and let stand 15 minutes. Then, drain and chop.
- In saucepan, combine next 6 ingredients (milk to salt). Add tomatoes.
- Cook and stir mixture over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add tomato mixture, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a bowl coated with non-stick cooking spray. Turn once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and shape into loaf. Put on baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes (Toaster oven: 350°F for ~15 minutes).